Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are looking forward to a productive and exciting new school year. It is the District’s goal to provide safe school transportation to eligible school children. Although we make every effort to ensure the safety of the students on the bus, there are situations that require your assistance and participation in order to improve safety. Sometimes, children can be exposed to a dangerous situation because of their own or other’s behavior. In order to provide this service, we ask parents to review safety with their children. Parents are responsible to get children to and from bus stops. Until the student steps on the school bus, parents are responsible for their child’s safety and conduct. Please don’t send children to the bus stop more than five minutes early. The following are some suggestions or examples of what to talk about:
When walking to the bus stop or to school:
- Cross streets at the corner.
- Use crosswalks whenever possible.
- Obey traffic signals.
- Look both ways before crossing the street by using the “look left, right and left again” approach.
Stay on the sidewalk (show your children where to walk and where to stand. It may be necessary to explain to your younger children what the sidewalk, curb and street are).
While waiting at the bus stop:
- Stay on the sidewalk.
- Stay back from the curb as the bus approaches.
- Always cross the street in front of the bus.
- Do NOT play in the street while waiting for the bus to arrive.
The school bus is an extension of the classroom. Students are expected to follow the same rules on the school bus as they follow in school.
Rules for Bus Riders:
- Follow all bus drivers’ directions immediately.
- Stay seated at all times leaving the aisle clear.
- Remain quiet and in assigned seat while on the school bus.
- Keep hands, feet, and other objects to yourself.
- Respect others by using appropriate language at all times.
Boarding the bus:
- Students must form an orderly line a safe distance from the bus.
- Wait for the bus driver’s signal before boarding.
- Enter the bus one at a time using the handrail.
- Go to your seat and sit down immediately.
- Place items on your lap or under your seat.
- Items that will not fit under the seat or on your lap are not permitted.
Conduct while riding the bus:
- Remain seated while on the bus.
- Keep hands, arms, head, and all parts of the body inside the bus at all times.
- Remain facing forward and talk in normal voice tone.
- Refrain from loud and/or vulgar language.
- Food or drink may only be consumed on the bus with special permission from the bus driver.
Exiting the bus:
- Stay in your seat until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Walk quietly down the aisle keeping your hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
- Use the handrail when exiting the school bus.
- Immediately walk at least 12 feet from the bus. Go straight to your destination.
At bus stops that require students to cross a main thoroughfare, students are instructed to wait until the school bus arrives before crossing the roadway. The student must always look both ways and wait for the driver to signal when it is all right to cross. Look both ways again and proceed when it is safe to do so.
Lane Hadlock, Transportation Director